Advertise here

Oscar Fish lovers?

Discussion forum for pets only.

Re: Oscar Fish lovers?

Postby gameaddict » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:53 am

i also own 2 tiger oscar. (Os and Car) (Os is the bigger one, Car is smaller one)

almost 1 year i think. those 2 oscar used to share the same tank...until 1 day, they bite each other....wait....not bite each other, the Bigger one bite the smaller one...
Luciky didn't died.....badly injured.... :(
Then we split the water tank into 2 portion with partition and continue raising them...

who knows.....1 day, that devil Os, jump over the partition just to bite the small one.... :shock:
and luckily didn't die also...but was badly injured. :(

From that incident, i buy another tank, each oscar at each tank.
Dunno why they dun wan to stay together....used to be nice when they small and swim together.. :(
Now live in different tank.

Oh my oscar, dun like pellets much....they like small fishies more....... :mrgreen:
Feed them twice a day, morning and evening/night.
Dun flame me.......or i burn u....
just kidding...
======================================
To be free and do what ur feelings tells u to.
======================================
Quoted from a Gamer friend of mine.
"Your reply, is like a Pie. It amuses me."

I just love this phrase.
User avatar
gameaddict
 
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:58 pm

Re: Oscar Fish lovers?

Postby Ransu » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:00 pm

gameaddict wrote:i also own 2 tiger oscar. (Os and Car) (Os is the bigger one, Car is smaller one)

almost 1 year i think. those 2 oscar used to share the same tank...until 1 day, they bite each other....wait....not bite each other, the Bigger one bite the smaller one...
Luciky didn't died.....badly injured.... :(
Then we split the water tank into 2 portion with partition and continue raising them...

who knows.....1 day, that devil Os, jump over the partition just to bite the small one.... :shock:
and luckily didn't die also...but was badly injured. :(

From that incident, i buy another tank, each oscar at each tank.
Dunno why they dun wan to stay together....used to be nice when they small and swim together.. :(
Now live in different tank.

Oh my oscar, dun like pellets much....they like small fishies more....... :mrgreen:
Feed them twice a day, morning and evening/night.


How big is your tank? =D
User avatar
Ransu
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:44 pm
Location: Miri

Re: Oscar Fish lovers?

Postby gameaddict » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:39 pm

the tank is around 3ft long and1 1/2 ft wide.

Do they need bigger space???
my oscar is slightly bigger than my palm only.....around 7~8 inch long (includes tail fin)

Needs pro advise, they sure love fishies....
Dun flame me.......or i burn u....
just kidding...
======================================
To be free and do what ur feelings tells u to.
======================================
Quoted from a Gamer friend of mine.
"Your reply, is like a Pie. It amuses me."

I just love this phrase.
User avatar
gameaddict
 
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:58 pm

Re: Oscar Fish lovers?

Postby Ransu » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:00 pm

gameaddict wrote:the tank is around 3ft long and1 1/2 ft wide.

Do they need bigger space???
my oscar is slightly bigger than my palm only.....around 7~8 inch long (includes tail fin)

Needs pro advise, they sure love fishies....


by research on internet, each adult oscar need at least 55 gallon or above...
User avatar
Ransu
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:44 pm
Location: Miri

Re: Oscar Fish lovers?

Postby Ransu » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:07 pm

one just died... =(
User avatar
Ransu
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:44 pm
Location: Miri

Re: Oscar Fish lovers?

Postby gameaddict » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:22 pm

Died?? :(
sorry to hear that. What happen?

bitten by another oscar or other fish??
Dun flame me.......or i burn u....
just kidding...
======================================
To be free and do what ur feelings tells u to.
======================================
Quoted from a Gamer friend of mine.
"Your reply, is like a Pie. It amuses me."

I just love this phrase.
User avatar
gameaddict
 
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:58 pm

Re: Oscar Fish lovers?

Postby Ransu » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:23 pm

gameaddict wrote:Died?? :(
sorry to hear that. What happen?

bitten by another oscar or other fish??


Sick...
Don't know what kind of sickness also.
First first only float on water and wont eat.
Then the belly there like shrink lidat.
Then secondly lay at the bottom and swim like a drill lidat.
Then now die.
User avatar
Ransu
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:44 pm
Location: Miri

Re: Oscar Fish lovers?

Postby gameaddict » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:15 pm

When your fish started to shows sign of sickness/abnormal movement, you have to remove them and place them in a new small aquarium where u mix the water with the med(a green fluid, can get from most pet shop) and give them the oxygen tube. Let them stay at the place for 1 whole day (around 24 hr) - Dun feed them anything in this aquarium, they won't eat.

That's what i do whenever my oscar shows weird symptom. i did that also when Car is badly bitten by Os, Car slowly recover.
And the next day, they will be more better and u can move it back to original tank.

Its just a reference though, but it works for me,
that's how my oscar live up to now.

p/s: Ransu, maybe u should also try feeding them with small fishies, i think they will be more healthier...but cost of feeding will be higher..

btw 55 gallon is how many water ?? for how big size of tank ??
Dun flame me.......or i burn u....
just kidding...
======================================
To be free and do what ur feelings tells u to.
======================================
Quoted from a Gamer friend of mine.
"Your reply, is like a Pie. It amuses me."

I just love this phrase.
User avatar
gameaddict
 
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:58 pm

Re: Oscar Fish lovers?

Postby Ransu » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:20 pm

gameaddict wrote:When your fish started to shows sign of sickness/abnormal movement, you have to remove them and place them in a new small aquarium where u mix the water with the med(a green fluid, can get from most pet shop) and give them the oxygen tube. Let them stay at the place for 1 whole day (around 24 hr) - Dun feed them anything in this aquarium, they won't eat.

That's what i do whenever my oscar shows weird symptom. i did that also when Car is badly bitten by Os, Car slowly recover.
And the next day, they will be more better and u can move it back to original tank.

Its just a reference though, but it works for me,
that's how my oscar live up to now.

p/s: Ransu, maybe u should also try feeding them with small fishies, i think they will be more healthier...but cost of feeding will be higher..

btw 55 gallon is how many water ?? for how big size of tank ??


55 gallon...
around 48" x 13" x 21"
User avatar
Ransu
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:44 pm
Location: Miri

Re: Oscar Fish lovers?

Postby Noyze » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:57 am

I used to keep oscars when i was back in JB. always get your oscars used to your hand, at least when they grow bigger with a larger appetite they wnu bite your fingers when cleaning the tank. Oh yeah feed them twice a day with LIVE meat ( fish / Frogs, etc) feed them live crickets once every 3 - 4 days so that they have a variety in their diet. If can use live shrimp as well. I NEVER feed them pellets cos they're not pussies! they're oscars!! they eat MEAT! RAWR!! oh yeah once a month or so, i expose them to bloody meat as i find it gives their natural instinct a kick! hehe damn syiok ooo!! hehe
My current rigv|Intel Core2Duo 6750 2.66 | ASUSTek-P5G41T-M LX |Powercolor HD4850 1Gb HDMI |Kingston HyperX DDR3 1333mhz 8Gb | Bigfoot Networks KILLER 2100 Gaming Network Card | WD 1TB Green 64Mb | WD 250Gb | WD 500Gb | CM Elite 360 | Razer Mamba | Razer Pro Pad | Samsung PleoMax K-200 | Samsung DVD Writer SH-S223C | Sony Bravia 32" EX520 LCD TV|
My Laptop |HP Probook 4420| Intel i3 2.53|2Gb Ram |Razer Pro-solutions Mouse|
Noyze
 
Posts: 1152
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:30 pm

Re: Oscar Fish lovers?

Postby dindor » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:42 am

Noyze wrote:I used to keep oscars when i was back in JB. always get your oscars used to your hand, at least when they grow bigger with a larger appetite they wnu bite your fingers when cleaning the tank. Oh yeah feed them twice a day with LIVE meat ( fish / Frogs, etc) feed them live crickets once every 3 - 4 days so that they have a variety in their diet. If can use live shrimp as well. I NEVER feed them pellets cos they're not pussies! they're oscars!! they eat MEAT! RAWR!! oh yeah once a month or so, i expose them to bloody meat as i find it gives their natural instinct a kick! hehe damn syiok ooo!! hehe


i've a baby oscar at the moment... so, what do you recommend to give him a healthy diet? Currently, I'm feeding him pellets...would dat be good? :D
Seeing is believing...
User avatar
dindor
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:14 am

Re: Oscar Fish lovers?

Postby gameaddict » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:15 pm

dindor wrote:
Noyze wrote:I used to keep oscars when i was back in JB. always get your oscars used to your hand, at least when they grow bigger with a larger appetite they wnu bite your fingers when cleaning the tank. Oh yeah feed them twice a day with LIVE meat ( fish / Frogs, etc) feed them live crickets once every 3 - 4 days so that they have a variety in their diet. If can use live shrimp as well. I NEVER feed them pellets cos they're not pussies! they're oscars!! they eat MEAT! RAWR!! oh yeah once a month or so, i expose them to bloody meat as i find it gives their natural instinct a kick! hehe damn syiok ooo!! hehe


i've a baby oscar at the moment... so, what do you recommend to give him a healthy diet? Currently, I'm feeding him pellets...would dat be good? :D


Once a while pellets is ok.
But i would suggest small fishies for them. That would make them grow faster and healthier. I never try cricket/frog though. Raw meat works as well, but you might wanna prevent giving them too much raw meat....might cause digestive problem.. :)
used to give them raw meat b4 once a while, but after i see them act funny/abnormal sometimes after eating raw meat.... i drop that diet from their feeding list...
Dun flame me.......or i burn u....
just kidding...
======================================
To be free and do what ur feelings tells u to.
======================================
Quoted from a Gamer friend of mine.
"Your reply, is like a Pie. It amuses me."

I just love this phrase.
User avatar
gameaddict
 
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:58 pm

Re: Oscar Fish lovers?

Postby Noyze » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:40 pm

raw FRESH n bloody meat only once a month nia, but i used to give them that when they were adults. Remember that your Oscar is primarily carnivorous (eats meat), so provide him with a high quality, high protein diet. most frozen fish foods are also appropriate for feeding your Oscar.

In the wild, most Oscars eat primarily small fish, aquatic invertebrates, insects, and insect larvae, only opportunistically scavenging on an old carcass, nipping at the fins or scales of larger fish, or consuming plant matter. You are best off to try to duplicate this diet in the aquarium environment. Provide a wide variety of processed, frozen, and freeze dried foods.

Your Oscars should be able to consume all the food you offer within two minutes of feeding. If there is food in the fish tank after this time has elapsed, this contributes to poor water quality and make your Oscars more susceptible to disease.
Though Oscars will take live foods, feeding live goldfish is always a bad idea. Feeder goldfish are not a very nutritious food, and they are a good way to spread disease to your beloved Oscars.

You should only need to feed your Oscar once a day. If you feed more than once a day you increase the waste your fish are producing and also increase the risk of over feeding, so it becomes more important that you are performing your weekly 10-15% water changes and all necessary filter maintenance.
My current rigv|Intel Core2Duo 6750 2.66 | ASUSTek-P5G41T-M LX |Powercolor HD4850 1Gb HDMI |Kingston HyperX DDR3 1333mhz 8Gb | Bigfoot Networks KILLER 2100 Gaming Network Card | WD 1TB Green 64Mb | WD 250Gb | WD 500Gb | CM Elite 360 | Razer Mamba | Razer Pro Pad | Samsung PleoMax K-200 | Samsung DVD Writer SH-S223C | Sony Bravia 32" EX520 LCD TV|
My Laptop |HP Probook 4420| Intel i3 2.53|2Gb Ram |Razer Pro-solutions Mouse|
Noyze
 
Posts: 1152
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:30 pm

Re: Oscar Fish lovers?

Postby Ransu » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:16 pm

Feeding mine with frozen blood worm, 3 times a day...
6am, 1pm and 10pm.. :O
User avatar
Ransu
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:44 pm
Location: Miri

Re: Oscar Fish lovers?

Postby Ransu » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:37 pm

Crap...
After some measuring and googling, my tank is a 40 gallon tank ''=.=
User avatar
Ransu
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:44 pm
Location: Miri

PreviousNext

Return to Pets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Advertise here