Advertise here

Sugar more toxic than alcohol, scientists say

Discussions on eating & living life to the fullest.

Sugar more toxic than alcohol, scientists say

Postby mevotex » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:07 am

Excessive amounts of alcohol is hazardous to the body, it causes cirrhosis of the liver, behavioral changes, and finally complete metabolic shutdown. We know that alcohol in excess is toxic but a group of scientists are claiming that 'added sugar' is even more detrimental to our health.

High level of sugar not only put pressure on liver, but led to high glucose level in blood which damaged organs.

Three scientists, Robert Lustig, Laura Schmidt and Claire Brindis from the University of California, San Francisco are calling for governments worldwide to regulate foods and drinks with 'added sugar' as strictly as alcohol and tobacco. They are also calling for the sugary foods to be banned in and around schools, placing age limits on purchases as not only is it taxing to the liver, causing fatty liver disease, and ultimately leading to insulin resistance, but claim it to be the underlying causes of obesity and diabetes.

A 2010 United Nations report revealed that, for the first time, more people are dying the so-called "lifestyle diseases" like heart disease, than from infectious disease. "The UN announcement targets tobacco, alcohol and diet as the central risk factors in non-communicable disease," wrote the researchers. "Two of these three - tobacco and alcohol - are regulated by governments to protect public health, leaving one of the primary culprits behind this worldwide health crisis unchecked."

Kidneys cleanse your blood, if there is too much sugar it blocks the kidney nephrons, leading to kidney failure.

The researchers argued that sugar by its own nature, like those present in fruit, is not harmful. But in recent years, sugar has been added to virtually every processed food, limiting consumer choice. Evolutionarily, sugar as fruit was available to our ancestors for only a few months a year (at harvest time), or as honey, which was guarded by bees, nature made sugar hard to get, but man made it easy. In many parts of the world now, people are consuming an average of more than 500 calories per day from added sugar alone.

The fructose component of sugar and H.F.C.S. is metabolized primarily by the liver, while the glucose from sugar and starches is metabolized by every cell in the body, then filtered off by your kidneys. Consuming too sugar means more work for the liver, and if the glucose level is too high, your kidney cells can quickly be damaged.

"It's not about the calories," Lustig is quoted in the New York Times Magazine as saying. "It has nothing to do with the calories. It's a poison by itself." His article states, "Ultimately, food producers and distributors must reduce the amount of sugar added to foods. But sugar is cheap, sugar tastes good and sugar sells, so companies have little incentive to change."

Source:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/0 ... 48397.html

http://health.ninemsn.com.au/healthnews ... ists-claim

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/201 ... ulate.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... cohol.html

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/224 ... -like.html

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Culture/Defau ... id=1532474
mevotex

Re: Sugar more toxic than alcohol, scientists say

Postby whatman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:14 am

So the teh tarik actually pose more health risk than a can of beer.
Currently playing : Bioshock Infinite & Sleeping Dogs

- Intel Core i5-4570 @ 3.20 GHz
- Gskill 8GB DDR3 1600
- Zotac Geforce GTX 580
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
whatman

Postby vertigo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:19 am

doesn't matter - tasty food not good, good food not tasty.

i don't care, why want to live 100 years? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
vertigo

Postby J.Howard » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:27 am

vertigo wrote:doesn't matter - tasty food not good, good food not tasty.

i don't care, why want to live 100 years? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

exactly....
J.Howard

Postby gorshan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:01 pm

i learned my lesson late but somehow managed to move back from the borderline diabetic/hypertension by drastically reducing my sugar , carbohydrate (rice) and salt intake and exercising. now healthy as an old fat horse so still have to work on it to be healthy as a stallion.

laugh all you want, guys, enjoy your teh-tarik, cappuccinos and fried noodles and burgers today. someday it will hit you back hard in the face and by then it may be too late and you ends up with strokes damages or kidney failures and pitifully using dialysis machines on public charity.
gorshan

Postby J.Howard » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:59 pm

gorshan wrote:i learned my lesson late but somehow managed to move back from the borderline diabetic/hypertension by drastically reducing my sugar , carbohydrate (rice) and salt intake and exercising. now healthy as an old fat horse so still have to work on it to be healthy as a stallion.

laugh all you want, guys, enjoy your teh-tarik, cappuccinos and fried noodles and burgers today. someday it will hit you back hard in the face and by then it may be too late and you ends up with strokes damages or kidney failures and pitifully using dialysis machines on public charity.

heh..you are lucky coz you can recover. me on the other hand, hand to babysit stroke patient at my home. she's in vegetative state. half of the brain been cut out due to stroke. was a massive one.

excessive drinking and refuse to see a doctor.
J.Howard

Postby vertigo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:07 am

u get too healthy also what for la dey. what for live longer. your body healthy but until certain age your brain can no longer function well, normally call "babo" or "nyanyuk" in BM. that time u don't have money even your kid also will have hard time to take care of you. perhaps you don't even know them anymore. so to me best is enjoy what you take/consume but in an interval of time, like me for example - not that i eat T-bone steak, nasi lemak or drink teh tarik everyday.
vertigo

Postby restige » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:42 am

It's becoming rather confusing I must say. Everyday, this or that and those "phyical" stuffs would turn out to be toxic, poisonous or dangerous. There will no be end for this, rest assured. In fact, reading this or that ( feeding our brains ) is the worst toxic "substances" that had gotten into our bodies "organically speaking", more toxic that smoking cigarettes. So if we were to believe all these reports, news, comments, etc. ( even if the truths are there ) what will become of us? Think about it.
restige

Postby gorshan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:57 am

vertigo wrote:u get too healthy also what for la dey. what for live longer. your body healthy but until certain age your brain can no longer function well, normally call "babo" or "nyanyuk" in BM. that time u don't have money even your kid also will have hard time to take care of you. perhaps you don't even know them anymore. so to me best is enjoy what you take/consume but in an interval of time, like me for example - not that i eat T-bone steak, nasi lemak or drink teh tarik everyday.

contrary to you , i wants to live to be a hundred (God willing) and not deny my children and their children's children of my big heart and love. :)

as for the brain, just like your d*ck, you will lose it if you do not use it. :lol:
gorshan

Postby J.Howard » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:06 am

c'mon brothers...no point arguing.
lets agree to be disagree, ok?

i bet you all agree that you wanna live your life to the fullest, be it on pork fat (beef fat for muslim) or detox drink.

today is Sturday, lets do bench press.
J.Howard

Postby restige » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:13 am

J.Howard wrote:c'mon brothers...no point arguing.
lets agree to be disagree, ok?

i bet you all agree that you wanna live your life to the fullest, be it on pork fat (beef fat for muslim) or detox drink.

today is Sturday, lets do bench press.

no disagree... discuss for fun's sake
Last edited by restige on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
restige

Postby restige » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:16 am

gorshan wrote:
contrary to you , i wants to live to be a hundred (God willing) and not deny my children and their children's children of my big heart and love. :)

as for the brain, just like your d*ck, you will lose it if you do not use it. :lol:

Without doubts, you're correct. That's the truth. But I must point out that most, if not all d*cks are dangerous tools if not toxic :wink:
Last edited by restige on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
restige

Postby vertigo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:51 pm

gorshan wrote:
vertigo wrote:u get too healthy also what for la dey. what for live longer. your body healthy but until certain age your brain can no longer function well, normally call "babo" or "nyanyuk" in BM. that time u don't have money even your kid also will have hard time to take care of you. perhaps you don't even know them anymore. so to me best is enjoy what you take/consume but in an interval of time, like me for example - not that i eat T-bone steak, nasi lemak or drink teh tarik everyday.

sounds like nothing more than a fairy tale to me, but i frankly wish u a good long life, to prove that i'm wrong :)
vertigo

Return to Health & Fitness